A stunning performance documentary with internationally acclaimed artists tells the Hyers’ story in word and song with a hip-hop poet, who interprets its meaning for our day.
PLEASE NOTE: NO DVD’s here yet. Order here, by mail, and on Amazon using the Purchase Button after June 27, 2019. This award-winning 30-min. documentary is an extended version of the film now on PBS. -wonderful for opera, music, and history lovers. In the perilous 1870’s and 80’s, when night riders and lynching terrorized black people and blackface minstrels ridiculed them across the land, The Hyers Sisters (popular, black, touring-opera prodigies) stood up to become Voices for Freedom. They fought the minstrels’ ridicule with charming works that revealed the depth and dignity of African Americans. These became the first American musicals and the first works to use integrated casting in American Music theater.
Internationally acclaimed mezzo soprano Tichina Vaughn, hip-hop poet WolfHawkJaguar, filmmaker/performer Susheel Bibbs, baritones Omari Tau and Robert Sims, tenor-pianist Othello Jefferson, pianist Jacqui Hairston, master drummer Pope Flyne, sopranos Hope Briggs and Shawnette Sulker, and other artists with expert commentators: Susan Anderson, Rick Moss, Thomas Riis, Halifu Osumare, Robert Sims, and others.
international Opera Star Denyce Graves-Montgomery
About Susheel: Independent filmmaker Susheel Bibbs has served the arts and the humanities for over 26 years. An acclaimed classical singer and actress, national Emmy winner, and once the youngest Executive Producer in the PBS system for a major international series, Bibbs has, since 2007, secured 13 international, independent-film awards (including three for excellence in directing) and two international Telly Awards. Both of her award-winning documentaries – Meet Mary Pleasant in HD (screened at Cannes) and Voices for Freedom (26 min version) — are now on PBS nationally; the extended 30 min. version is on DVD and touring nationwide.
See more on Bibbs’ films at http://californiafilm.net/profile/SusheelBibbs and her performances at www.susheelbibbs.com
Current News and Events
- NO DVD orders YET, but get the 30 min. VOICES FOR FREEDOM soon right here and on Amazon after June 27 — Telly winner & 7 Int’l Film-Festival awards. It is different from what is on TV — more performances, detail on their CA community, the Hyers outcome, and a great ending. Not an alternate — a really special film of its own.
- Next screening: Laemmle novo7 theater, June 20-27, 6:30 pm daily, tickets $10
- The short 26 min VOICES continues on PBS, but in 2018 it had 216 airings on 128 channels in 56 TV markets in 20 states (37% national coverage. Watch for broadcasts in St. Louis next Winter. Please ask your local station to air it.
- You may order the DVD 30 min. DVD online or by mail after June 27: DKC, c/o 123 Mint Leaf Way, Sacramento, CA 95838 ($15 per DVD plus $4/dvd. Only $7 postage per order for 5 DVDs)
- Order Bibbs’ new Hyers booklet on the Hyers: https://www.amazon.com/Voices-Freedom-Sisters-ChangeLegacy/dp/1535017449/ref=sr_1_cc_6?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1529960242&sr=1-6-catcorr&keywords=susheel+bibbs
- Donate below to have this work expanded or available on commercial media sites
Click below to donate to expand and distribute this film (tax deductible)
To help expand this film to ONE hour, please make your tax-deductible donation below,
payable to The Living Heritage Foundation
with a note on the check that says, “Hyers Film”
Address: Attn: Bibbs-LHF, 123 Mint Leaf Way, Sacramento, CA 95838
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org c/o 123 Mint Leaf Way, Sacramento, CA 95838 http://www.susheelbibbs.com/